Residents of the Crystal Park, Upper Skyway and Crystal Hills neighborhoods are invited to participate in a wildfire evacuation drill June 8.
The drill will be hosted by El Paso County, the City of Colorado Springs and the City of Manitou Springs through the Pikes Peak Regional Office of Emergency ManagementThe City and County are consolidating their Offices of Emergency Management in an effort to optimize staff resources, establish a single point of contact during major incidences and enhance communication both during and after an event. The new office, the Pikes Peak Regional Office of Emergency Management (PPR-OEM) will support operations during a disaster or emergency in El Paso County and Colorado Springs.Because disaster knows no jurisdictional boundaries, we can most efficiently prepare for an emergency and respond to one by coordinating our efforts on a regional basis. The establishment of the PPR-OEM will allow the county and the city to more effectively coordinate and assist first responders in an emergency as well as preparing the government and the community for a disaster..
During the exercise, residents will receive first-hand experience evacuating their home in an emergency. They will become more familiar with potential shelter locations and learn about various resources and valuable information they will need during a wildfire or other emergency.
Participants will be asked to evacuate their neighborhoods and travel to Holmes Middle School, 2455 Mesa Rd, in Colorado Springs, for lunch and the Community Preparedness Fair.
Evacuation Drill Timeline
- 9:00 a.m. – Drill begins
- 9:30 a.m. – Crystal Park residents evacuate to the fire station for a sheltering drill
- 10 a.m. – First responders begin door knocking in Crystal Hills and Upper Skyway to notify participating residents to evacuate
- 10:20 a.m.-10:40 a.m. – All participating residents receive an emergency message telling them to evacuate to Holmes Middle School*
- 11 a.m.-noon – Preparedness Fair activities at Holmes Middle School (lunch, raffle drawing, informational booths, mock shelters, etc.)
*Emergency alerts for the exercise will be sent to all residents within the designated neighborhoods. Residents not participating in the exercise should disregard messages related to the exercise.
Interested residents of participating neighborhoods may register to participate below. Registration closes the evening of Thursday, June 6.
Community Information Meeting
Residents of the Crystal Park, Upper Skyway and Crystal Hills neighborhoods are invited to attend a community meeting May 23 at Manitou Springs City Hall 606 Manitou Ave. to learn more about and register to participate in a wildfire evacuation drill June 8.
The drill will be hosted by El Paso County, the City of Colorado Springs and the City of Manitou Springs.
· What: Information and registration meeting for June 8 Wildfire Evacuation Drill
· Who: Residents of the Crystal Park, Upper Skyway and Crystal Hills neighborhoods
· When: Thursday, May 23, 6:30 p.m.
· Where: Manitou Springs City Hall, 606 Manitou Ave. Manitou Springs, Colo.
Important Information for residents of Crystal Park, Upper Skyway and Crystal Hills neighborhoods
- Residents who signed up to participate in the exercise should follow the pre-designated evacuation route and instructions.
- Residents not participating in the exercise should disregard any emergency alert messages related to the exercise
- Residents may direct questions to SaraFant@elpasoco.com.