The Census Bureau will never ask for these things
- Your Social Security number.
- Your bank account or credit card numbers.
- Money or donations.
- Your mother’s maiden name.
- Anything on behalf of a political party.
Staying safe at home
The Census Bureau will not send unsolicited emails to request your participation in the 2020 Census.
If someone visits your home to collect a response for the 2020 Census, you can do the following to verify their identity:
- First, check to make sure that they have a valid ID badge, with their photograph, a U.S. Department of Commerce watermark, and an expiration date.
- If you still have questions about their identity, you can call 800-923-8282 to speak with a local Census Bureau representative.
If someone calls your household to complete a survey you can call the National Processing Center to verify the caller is a Census Bureau employee.
If you get mail, you check that the return address is Jeffersonville, Indiana. If you are still not sure you can call the Regional Office for your state to verify the household survey.