City Council invites the public to provide more feedback about proposed Short Term Rental (STR) ordinance amendments at a Town Hall on Monday, October 14 from 6-7:30 p.m. in the Regional Development Center Building, 2880 International Circle.
Background: City Council was set to vote on proposed changes at the September 24 Regular Council Meeting, but instead used that time as an opportunity to hear from the public about proposed changes to the STR Ordinance. The vote is currently set for the October 22 Regular Meeting. Council requested a Town Hall to hear more feedback from the public on the proposed changes.
This Town Hall is not for general STR feedback. Comments will be accepted for the proposed ordinance changes regarding: permit densities, owner occupancy regulations, and occupancy limits.
- Permit densities/owner occupancy regulations – Potential for the limitation of non-owner occupied STR permits. This could either be managed through a 500’ buffer to another non-owner occupied STR, OR a five lot spacing to another non-owner occupied STR.
- Owner occupancy definition – Potential to define ‘owner occupancy’ as the property being occupied by the owner for not less than 180 days.
- Occupancy limits – Potential to limit the number of STR occupants for a dwelling unit at two people per bedroom + two additional people, maximum of 16 people. For example, if a home has three bedrooms, eight people could occupy the STR; however, if a home has eight bedrooms, only 16 people would be permitted to occupy the STR.
NOTE: Meeting location changed since initial notification. Originally this meeting was to be in City Hall, but we have changed the venue to the Regional Development Center.
Links to view recent Council Meetings on the topic:
- September 24 Regular Meeting (Citizen Feedback)
- October 7 Work Session (Discussion by Council about the proposed changes)
In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 ("ADA"), the City of Colorado Springs will not discriminate against qualified individuals with disabilities. Anyone requiring an auxiliary aid or service to participate in this workshop should make the request as soon as possible by calling (719) 385-5248, but no later than 48 hours before the scheduled event.