Sharing the Responsibility!
The objectives of the Colorado Springs Fire Department Wildfire Mitigation Unit are to:
- Create awareness of wildfire risk in the city's wildland-urban interface (WUI)
- Deliver mitigation information that assists homeowners in reducing their risk
- Work in stewardship with neighborhood organizations to reduce wildfire risk and increase the standalone survivability of structures.
Create a Defensible Space
Vegetation management and reducing your risk of wildfire go hand in hand. On our vegetation management page, you will find detailed information about how to create a "defensible space" around your home and improve its chances of surviving a wildfire.
- On-site Consultations (719-385-7342)
- Neighborhood Meetings
- Business Education and Outreach
For additional information, please contact the Wildfire Mitigation office at 719-385-7342.
Mitigation Tax Credit
Individuals, estates and trusts may subtract from their federal taxable income certain costs incurred while performing wildfire mitigation measures on their property.
FEMA and CSFD Wildfire Mitigation: After the Waldo Canyon Fire
Colorado Springs Wildfire Mitigation Story Map features a successful wildfire mitigation program and its accelerated development after the lessons learned from a devastating wildfire known as the Waldo Canyon Fire. This story highlights how Colorado Springs’ fire resistive building codes and design standards have significantly reduced wildfire risk and greatly improved the community’s resilience to wildfire. The story also describes how the remarkable partnership between neighborhoods at risk and the Colorado Springs Fire Department has educated and enabled homeowners to actively participate in wildfire mitigation.