COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. - Mayor John Suthers presented a balanced 2019 budget to Colorado Springs City Council today. The 2019 General Fund budget is $302.1 million, $15.4 million or 5.4 percent more than the 2018 budget. The increase is largely due to a projected increase in sales and use tax revenue.
Attached is Suthers’ letter to city council outlining the allocation of funds in line with the city’s strategic plan goals: Promoting Job Creation, Investing in Infrastructure, Building Community and Collaborative Relationships, and Excelling in City Services.
2019 General Fund Highlights:
- $4.5 million in increased funding for 61 new police officer positions and 8 new sworn fire positions
- $950,000 in increased funding for park maintenance, recreational and cultural service needs, including a new forestry crew
- $1.0 million in increased funding for parks water
- $1.36 million in increased funding for the City’s Americans with Disabilities Act operating and capital programs
- $2.7 million of continued funding for city facilities maintenance
- $1.1 million in increased funding for city fleet replacement
- $171,000 in increased funding for an additional Quality of Life/Camp Cleanup crew
- $209,000 increased funding to Mountain Metro Transit
- $1.8 million increase to address Information Technology core infrastructure, applications, and cybersecurity improvements and sustainment
- $9.9 million to bring police and fire sworn position compensation to the market average and implement year two of the civilian compensation strategy
The complete proposed 2019 budget is available at coloradosprings.gov/budget.
Upcoming Important Budget Dates:
Oct. 15 – Budget presentations to city council (all day)
Oct. 18 – Public input meeting (5-7:30p)
Residents may also provide input via email to email@example.com
Nov. 13 – Introduction of 2019 budget ordinance at city council work session
Nov. 13 – First reading of 2019 budget ordinance at city council regular meeting
Nov. 27 – Second reading of 2019 budget ordinance at city council regular meeting