The City of Colorado Springs and the Office of the Mayor started the Ticket to Success program during the 2012/2013 school year to provide a unique leadership opportunity for local 7th and 8th-grade students. Students visit city government departments four times during each school year, meeting city leaders and gaining an awareness of various city government careers.
The goals of Ticket to Success are:
- Students will gain an awareness of different careers within city government and evaluate the leadership skills needed for the various positions.
- Students will identify personal leadership strengths and weaknesses and develop goals to enhance specific leadership skills.
- Students will observe and network with community leaders to further explore and enhance career and post-secondary skills.
- Students will support real-world application of 21st Century skills that incorporate Common Core Standards.
Here is a sample of some of the city departments visited during the program:
- Fire Department
- Municipal Court
- Office of the Mayor
- Parks Department
- Police Department
- Information Technology Department
- Public Works