Small Cell Wireless Communications Permitting

Share this page:

Pre-Application Meeting (Voluntary)

At the Provider’s request, the Office of Innovation and Sustainability (OIS) will coordinate a meeting between the Providers and the appropriate parties within the City.  At this meeting, we will discuss proposed facility deployments and all necessary permits, fees, and other requirements related to those deployments.  City stakeholders include OIS, Department of Information Technology (IT), Department of Public Works, Department of Planning, and Colorado Springs Utilities.

Joshua Pace
Phone:  (719) 385-5272

Pre-Application Documents

1. Preliminary drawings in compliance with

  • Federal and State Requirements
  • Colorado Springs City Code, Chapter 7
  • ​The City’s Small Cell Design Standards, coming soon

2. Signed Agreement in Connection with the Operation of a Wireless Network (pdf) | (Download .docx)

Applications and Permits

After the Pre-Application meeting, or in lieu of the Pre-Application meeting, and upon execution of the Agreement in Connection with the Operation of a Wireless Network, Providers may begin the process of completing applicable permit applications and forms.  The required permits and forms, and the associated points of contact for each are listed below. 

Providers must complete permit applications and forms, along with associated fees, in the order they are listed below:

1. Revocable Permit 

Surface Revocable Permits are the most common permits issued for small cell deployments. Choose the “Attachment to Vertical Utility Infrastructure” option on the permit application form.

Department Planning and Development

2. Electric Load Data Form 

Colorado Springs Utilities requires a completed Electric Load Data Form from Providers before small cell deployment begins.

Colorado Springs Utilities
North District Phone: 719-668-4998
South District Phone: 719-668-5564

3. Right of Way Permits, if applicable

Excavation Permits are the most common Right of Way Permits issued for small cell deployments, and are only required when breaking ground, typically when removing existing poles and installing replacement poles.  Additionally, Providers may be required to pay pavement degradation fees, and/or apply for Traffic Control Permits.

Note: Provider or Provider's contractors must be licensed, bonded, and insured prior to beginning an application for Right of Way Permits.  More information, and a list of contractors already licensed, bonded and insured can be found at the City Clerk's website for an Excavation License.

Department of Public Works