COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. - Local kids and residents will have the opportunity to sharpen their sport skills, meet members of Team USA, and see sport demonstrations by some of the nation’s best athletes on Wednesday, July 24, as Colorado Springs - Olympic City USA celebrates the start of the one-year-countdown to the 2020 Olympic Games in Tokyo, Japan.
The event is at Memorial Park, near the intersection of Sports Drive and Pikes Peak Ave. from 10 a.m. - noon and is free to the public. It is being held in coordination with the United States Olympic and Paralympic Committee and local National Governing Bodies.
Hundreds are expected to attend the event which will feature the following activities:
- Demonstration by USA Wrestling’s three Cadet teams in freestyle and Greco-Roman wrestling
- Meet and Greet and autographs with 2017 USA Gymnastics National Champion Eddie Penev and Para judo athlete Ricky Ties, both Team USA hopefuls for the 2020 Olympic and Paralympic Games
- “Best Trick” competition featuring the new Olympic sport of skateboarding with local group Sk8 Strong
- Soccer skills mini-clinic by the American Youth Soccer Organization and the City’s Parks, Recreation and Cultural Services department
- Gymnastics mini-lessons by local club, Precizion 509 Gymnastics
- Photo opportunities with the Olympic City USA hot air balloon, courtesy of Hot Apple Productions
- And More
The event comes 365 days before the Opening Ceremonies of the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020, and two days before competition begins for more than 600 U.S. athletes in Lima, Peru for the Pan American Games, where several qualifying events will take place for Tokyo 2020.
This event is an all-access media opportunity for Team USA in our Community, an ongoing initative to showcase Team USA pride in Olympic City USA. Interviews with athletes and spokespeople will be available.