(Please allow 6-8 weeks for processing)
Submit the following documents to Real Estate Services:
- Signed Public Request for Services Form. The form must be signed by the applicant and at least one property owner;
- Utility locates. Contact Central Locators by dialing 811 locally, or 1-800-922-1987 to request and obtain written proof showing the locations of ALL utility lines on the property/in the ground. There is no charge for this service;
- Survey showing the easement, or portion of the easement to be encroached upon.
- Check or money order for payment of the fee ($160.00) payable to City of Colorado Springs.
- Statement of Authority, if applicable. Please provide the name/title of that person who has the authority to convey or affect title to real property on behalf of the entity. For notarization purposes, please also provide the State and County where the signature will occur.
If approved, the controlling City department will determine whether an Easement Encroachment License or letter will be issued.
If an Easement Encroachment License is to be issued, exhibits are required, and must be prepared by a Colorado Licensed Professional Land Surveyor, and be signed and sealed. The exhibits will be as follows (samples available upon request):
Exhibit A – (prepared by Real Estate Services - a description of the document establishing the easement to be encroached upon);
Exhibit B – a written description of the easement encroachment area; and
Exhibit C - a depiction of the encroachment area.
The applicant must pay the recording fee. The El Paso County Clerk and Recorder charges the City $13.00 for the first page, $5.00 for each subsequent page, and a $2.00 administrative fee.
Here is the process for an Easement Encroachment Project:
- All required documentation received,
- Conduct research and open a file,
- Obtain latest vesting deed,
- Forward request to various City Departments and begin comment period,
- If approval is received, obtain Statement of Authority, if applicable,
- Applicant/Property Owner to obtain legal exhibits,
- Finalize the Easement Encroachment License,
- Obtain approval of legal description/exhibits,
- 15- day notification sent to City's cable franchisees,
- Obtain property owner notarized signature,
- Obtain recording fee,
- Obtain Project Manager's signature,
- Obtain City Attorney "Approval As To Form",
- Obtain Real Estate Services Manager signature,
- Electronically record with El Paso County Clerk & Recorder,
- Email or mail copy of recorded license to Applicant.
Processing Time: 6-8 Weeks
Click here to see a “Guide to Easement Vacations & Easement Encroachments” for more details on frequently asked questions, our timeline, etc.
Questions regarding Easement Encroachments should be directed to Barbara Reinardy at (719) 385-5601, or firstname.lastname@example.org.