COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. – Demolition of the 1960s-era Summit House began Tuesday, April 6. The building, which has served summit visitors since April 28, 1964, will be completely removed ahead of the opening of the new Pikes Peak Summit Complex early this summer. The decorative plaque that was previously located in the former overlook area honoring Katharine Lee Bates’ poem “America the Beautiful,” which was inspired by her journey to the summit in 1893, has been kept and will be placed on the new eastern overlook.
As a reminder, the summit of Pikes Peak – America’s Mountain is closed to all vehicular and pedestrian traffic until May 23, 2021. The closure is for the safety of all visitors and workers as the Summit Complex enters its final phase of construction. During this time, heavy equipment will be moving boulders throughout the site in preparation for final grading and paving. More information on the new Summit Complex is available at ColoradoSprings.gov/SummitComplex.
Throughout the closure and weather permitting, Pikes Peak Highway visitors are able to park at Devils Playground where they can enjoy views from 13,500 feet and hike various trails. Hikers will not be able to access the summit and must be prepared to hike back down either the Crags Trail or Barr Trail. Signage indicating the temporary summit closure will be present on both trails.
As always, plan ahead and call 719-385-7325 for current highway conditions. Hours of operation and other information about the highway can be found at PikesPeakColorado.com.