The Comprehensive Plan (PlanCOS) is a guide for the development and growth of the City. The Plan will:
- Establish a framework for future City policies and priorities
- Serve as a long-range vision of what we want our City to become
- Serve as a tool for making decisions about how that vision should be achieved
- Outline steps for the community to make their vision a reality
- Help in directing the vision, marketing and strategic planning of the City
As a long-range vision, the Plan sets forth the values we want to realize as the City changes over the next 20 to 30 years and ties those values to land use, economic development, community design, and infrastructure upgrade strategies and recommendations.
What does the Comprehensive Plan include?
The exact nature and extent of the elements addressed by the Plan will be determined as part of the process. However, the following elements are expected to be included and important:
- Visioning, marketing and branding
- Neighborhood planning and services
- Regional land use planning partnerships
- Economic development and jobs
- Infill and redevelopment framework
- Relevant policies
- Implementation plan including code changes
The Comprehensive Plan Process
Updating the Comprehensive Plan will be approximately a two-year process. During the process the City will:
- Conduct a thorough evaluation of the existing Plan and its main elements including strengths, weaknesses and opportunities
- Review best practices and models for a successful Plan update
- Analyze and prepare relevant data and trends of population and employment forecasts along with development and redevelopment opportunities
- Conduct an effective stakeholder communications and input process through social media outreach, neighborhood and city-wide events, public meetings, surveys and newsletters
- Conduct a Plan audit with emphasis on fiscal sustainability in providing capital improvements and services
- Develop a potential land use and policy alternatives for the City
Find out more about the Comprehensive Plan process here.
The Steering Committee
Mayor Suthers appointed the Comprehensive Plan Executive Steering Committee to be the advocates of the Plan and actively engage in public outreach. The members represent a diverse cross-section of our society.