In accordance with Colorado law, the Colorado Department of Corrections (DOC) has notified the Colorado Springs Police Department that James Patrick Dauer has been discharged from DOC custody, and has moved to a location in the Colorado Springs Police Department’s jurisdiction. Dauer is a sex offender whose past behavior has led him to be labeled a “Sexually Violent Predator” (SVP) by the Colorado Bureau of Investigation. Accordingly, the Colorado Springs Police Department has made a “community notification” as required by law and undertaken the following tasks, among others:
- Notified the Colorado Department of Public Safety’s Sex Offender Management Board (SOMB) Notification Team.
- Reviewed and confirmed Dauer’s residence, employment, access to vehicles, legal status, and past crimes.
- Made notifications to neighbors and businesses deemed to be in the immediate area.
- Briefed patrol personnel on Dauer’s status, history, appearance, residence, employment, and vehicles.
- Notified surrounding law enforcement agencies.
- Provided an online video that describes the SVP community notification process, SVP information, and additional resources for the community.
- Online SVP Community Notification video at: www.coloradosprings.gov. Click on Departments, click on Police, then Search Sex Offender Information.
The Colorado Springs Police Department will make all reasonable efforts to ensure that Dauer registers as a sex offender and he understands his responsibilities as such.
Dauer’s criminal history reveals he was convicted in 2002 of Involuntary Deviate Sexual Intercourse, Person Less than Thirteen Years of Age, a Class One Felony, in Franklin County, Pennsylvania. He was also convicted in 2002 of Sexual Assault, a Class Two Felony, in Franklin County, Pennsylvania.
Dauer has also been convicted in 1985 of Aggravated Sexual Assault in Amarillo, Texas, and in 1988 of Aggravated Sexual Assault in Houston, Texas.
Dauer is currently registered as homeless in the area of 23 West Las Vegas Street, near the Springs Rescue Mission. He is described as a white male, 61 years of age, 6’, 245 lbs., with gray hair, and green eyes.
Dauer is one of sixteen (16) “Sexually Violent Predators” currently registered with the Colorado Springs Police Department who reside in this community. The Colorado Springs Police Department takes his presence in our community very seriously and is intent on insuring he conducts himself in a lawful manner and that our citizens remain safe and aware. Follow Twitter for photograph.
Anyone with further questions about this SVP and this Community Notification process can contact Detective Rob Meredith of the Colorado Springs Police Department Registered Sex Offender Unit at 719-444-7665.