In accordance with Colorado law the Colorado Department of Corrections has notified the Colorado Springs Police Department that Shane Worth Poteet will be on supervised release, parole, and has moved to an address in the Colorado Springs Police Department’s jurisdiction. Poteet is a sex offender whose past behavior has led him to be labeled a “Sexually Violent Predator” (SVP) by the court. Accordingly, the Colorado Springs Police Department has made “community notification” as required by law and undertaken the following tasks, among others:
- Notified the D.O.C. Sex Offender Management Board (SOMB) Notification Team.
- Reviewed and confirmed Poteet’s residence, employment, access to vehicles, legal status, and past crimes.
- Made notifications to neighbors and businesses deemed to be in the immediate area.
- Briefed patrol personnel on Poteet’s status, history, appearance, residence, employment and vehicles.
- Notified surrounding law enforcement agencies.
- Provided an online video that describes the SVP community notification process, SVP information and additional resources for the community.
- Online SVP Community Notification video at: www.coloradosprings.gov. Click on Public Safety then click on Police.
The Police Department will make all reasonable efforts to ensure that Poteet registers as a sex offender and that he understands his responsibilities as such.
Poteet’s criminal history reveals that on 09-20-16 he was convicted of Attempted Sexual Assault on a Child in Prowers County District Court case #15CR224.
Poteet was also convicted on 08-03-10 of Attempted Internet Sexual Exploitation of a Child in Prowers County District Court case #10CR50.
Poteet is registered and residing at 3033 East Platte Avenue #109, Colorado Springs, CO 80909. He is described as being a white male, 30 years old, 6’0” tall, 185 lbs, with red/auburn hair and blue eyes.
Poteet is one of sixteen (16) “Sexually Violent Predators” currently registered with the Colorado Springs Police Department who reside in this community. The Colorado Springs Police Department takes his presence in our community very seriously and is intent on insuring he conducts himself in a lawful manner and that our citizens remain safe and aware.
Anyone with further questions about this SVP and this Community Notification process can contact Detective Rob Meredith of the Colorado Springs Police Department Registered Sex Offender Unit at 719-444-7665 or Detective Nancy Gifford at 719-444-7672.