In accordance with Colorado law the Colorado Springs Police Department is notifying the community that Jerrell Jamil Evans has moved back to a location in the Colorado Springs Police Department’s jurisdiction. Evans is a sex offender whose past behavior has led him to be labeled a “Sexually Violent Predator” (SVP) by the court. Accordingly, the Colorado Springs Police Department has made “community notification” as required by law, and has undertaken the following tasks, among others:
- Notified the Colorado Department of Public Safety’s Sex Offender Management Board (SOMB) Notification Team.
- Reviewed and confirmed Evans’ residence, employment, access to vehicles, legal status, and past crimes.
- Briefed patrol personnel on Evans’ status, history, appearance, residence, employment, and vehicles.
- Notified surrounding law enforcement agencies.
- Provided an online video that describes the SVP community notification process, SVP information, and additional resources for the community.
- Online SVP Community Notification video available at: www.coloradosprings.gov. Click on Departments, click on Police, then click on Search Sex Offender Information.
The Colorado Springs Police Department will make all reasonable efforts to ensure that Evans registers as a sex offender and that he understands his responsibilities as such.
Evans' criminal history reveals that he was convicted of Criminal Attempt - Second Degree Sexual Assault in 2001 in El Paso County, Colorado.
Evans has also been convicted of Felony Escape in 2007, Felony Criminal Attempt – Possession of a Schedule II Controlled Substance in 2001, and Felony Menacing in 2000.
Evans is registered and is currently homeless in the area of Murray Boulevard and Platte Avenue. Evans is described as being a black male, 36 years of age, 6’ tall, 215 lbs., with black hair (shaved head), and hazel eyes.
Evans is one of sixteen (16) “Sexually Violent Predators” registered with the Colorado Springs Police Department who reside in this community. The Colorado Springs Police Department takes his presence in our community very seriously and is intent on ensuring he conducts himself in a lawful manner and that our citizens remain safe and aware.
Anyone with further questions about this SVP and this Community Notification process can contact Detective Rob Meredith of the Colorado Springs Police Department Registered Sex Offender Unit at 719-444-7665.