Below is a link to the Colorado Springs Police Department’s (CSPD) “Cases of Interest” webpage. On that page, you will find one continuous video containing footage concerning the August 3, 2019 officer involved shooting in the 2100 block of Preuss Road.
In the video you will find, in order:
- 911 Call Audio with Transcription
- The initial portion of the 911 call from the reporting party describing what occurred and providing suspect descriptions
- Radio Communications Audio with Transcription
- This audio is compressed to remove empty airtime when no one is speaking
- Sergeant Van’t Land’s Body Worn Camera Video
- Officer Evenson’s Body Worn Camera Video
- Sergeant Van’t Land’s Body Worn Camera Video with Enhanced Audio, Transcription, and Slowed Down
- Officer Evenson’s Body Worn Camera Video with Enhanced Audio, Transcription, and Slowed Down
- Copy of Colorado Revised Statue 16-3-103 “Stopping a Suspect”
- Copy of relevant portion of Colorado Revised Statue 18-1-707 “Use of Physical Force in Making an Arrest or in Preventing an Escape Definitions”
- The full statute is available in a separate document on the website with this video
This footage is evidence in the investigation of the officer involved shooting which occurred on August 3rd. It is released at this time at the assurance of the investigative agency that doing so will not likely impede the investigation. No further information will be released, nor media interviews conducted until the District Attorney’s Office has completed its review of this incident.
Due to the sensitive nature of the footage from the body worn camera, the footage begins at the officers’ initial contact and ends when life-saving measures are performed. Following the stopping point in the video, officers continue to perform these measures until medical arrives on scene and witnesses are interviewed.
Please note, officers with the CSPD wear their body worn cameras mounted on their chest, and the video is from that static point of view. It does not record the officer’s field of vision.
The officers whom discharged their weapons in this incident are Sergeant Alan Van’t Land and Officer Blake Evenson. Sergeant Van’t Land has been employed with the Colorado Springs Police Department since January 30, 2008. Officer Evenson has been employed with the Colorado Springs Police Department since October 31, 2012. Both Officers were assigned to the Sand Creek Division, Shift II, when this event occurred.