The Colorado Springs Police Explorer Program is designed for young men and women between the ages of 14.5 and 20 years old. This program allows young teens who live in or near the city of Colorado Springs to become informed and involved in law enforcement, while actively becoming part of their community. This allows teens to further their knowledge and understanding of the criminal justice system through training, and to provide an insight into all phases of police work as a possible future profession. It will also help foster a better understanding between the Police Department and the youth of our city.
Explorer Program Requirements
- Must be between the ages of 14.5 and 20 to apply.
- Must have and maintain a GPA of "C" (2.0) or better in school.
- Must pass a criminal history check, background investigation and oral interview.
- Must be able to attend all 11 training sessions.
- Must maintain a 70% or higher GPA through the Cadet Basic Training Academy.
- Must join the Boy Scouts of America Explorer Post prior to graduation.
- Must have parent's permission to participate in all post functions.
- Must participate in most community service events, department-requested special events and post fundraisers.
- Community Service
- Police Job Training
- Post Fundraising
- Police Ride-Alongs
- Monthly Meetings
- State and Regional Competitions
- Joint Training with S.W.A.T. and Reserve Officers
- Cadet Honor Guard
- Social Activities
- Athletic Activities and Competitions
The CSPD Explorer Training Academy meets every day for two weeks in June. Explorers will receive training and an introduction to: law enforcement, police ethics, community relations, criminal law, radio communications, criminal investigations, use of force laws, crime scene searches, evidence collection, domestic violence, officer safety, vehicle stops, patrol functions, report writing and firearms safety.
You may download our Explorer Application for review and completion! We accept applications year-round but hold our Explorer Academy annually in the summer.
We accept applications year round.
Thank you for your interest, and please feel free to contact us if you have any questions. For more information: call us at (719) 444-7437.