The Investigations Division is part of the Operations Support Bureau and comprises multiple units who are responsible for handling investigations based on the crime committed, complexity and the requirement of special expertise. They provide assistance to the Patrol Division with investigations, as needed. This division has the second largest number of personnel and is composed of detectives, civilian investigators, specialists, technicians, supervisors and support staff.
Special Victims Section
The Special Victims Section is one of four sections within the Investigations Division. The section is commanded by a lieutenant. Additionally, there are three sergeants, 23 detectives, four forensic interviewers, one civilian special investigator and two office specialists assigned to the section. The units are:
- Crimes Against Children Unit: Two teams who investigate felony sexual assaults, felony child abuse, incest, the homicide of young children, and other serious or sensitive offenses involving children
- Forensic Interview Unit: Specially trained forensic interviewers who conduct interviews with child victims, elderly victims, and witnesses of physical or sexual assaults/abuse
- Crimes Against At-Risk Adults Unit: Investigation of violent crimes against qualifying at-risks persons, 18 years and older
- Adult Sexual Assault Unit: Responsible for the investigation of felony sexual assaults of adult victims. They also investigate sexual assault of teens 16 and older, who are not victims of a family-related sexual assault.
- Domestic Violence Unit: Conducts follow-up investigations of felony crimes associated with domestic violence, such as murder, felony assault, kidnapping, sexual assault and stalking
- Registered Sex Offender Unit: Monitors and tracks sex offenders who reside within the city limits of Colorado Springs
Violent Crimes Section
The Violent Crimes Section is the second of four sections within the Investigations Division. The section is commanded by a lieutenant. Additionally, there are three sergeants, 22 detectives, a victim’s advocate coordinator, three victim advocates and multiple volunteers. This section consists of the following units:
- Homicide Unit: Consists of two teams who are tasked with the investigation of suspicious deaths and murders
- Robbery Unit: Tasked with the investigation of all robberies occurring within the city limits of Colorado Springs
- Assault Unit: Investigates criminal acts involving first- and second-degree assaults
- Victim Advocate Unit: Provide victims of certain crimes with crisis counseling, support, referrals to community services, assistance with the victim compensation process, and personal advocacy
Technical Investigations Section
The Technical Investigations Section is the third of four sections within the Investigations Division. This section is commanded by a lieutenant. Additionally, there are two sergeants, 10 detectives, an ICAC grant coordinator and multiple volunteers. This section consists of the following units:
- Financial Crimes Unit: Responsible for the pattern and serial financial crimes. These include identity theft, counterfeiting, check and credit card fraud, Internet and mail scams, and complex theft/embezzlement cases.
- Pawn Unit: Tasked with reviewing pawn shop transactions to ensure compliance with local and state reporting laws. Additionally, this unit is responsible for monitoring precious metal dealers.
- Internet Crimes Against Children Unit: Tasked with the investigation of the exploitation of children via digital media. This unit works directly in support of the nationwide Internet Crimes Against Children Task Force (ICAC).
- Computer Forensics Unit: Specialized mission of conducting forensic and technical analysis of all types of digital media and devices