Whether it is taking a theft report or responding to a shooting, the Patrol Bureau is the uniformed backbone of the CSPD.
The officers of the Patrol Bureau are responsible for carrying out the CSPD’s day-to-day mission of responding to calls for service and patrolling the city. To learn more about the Patrol Bureau:
- Select the individual units on the left-hand side of the page.
- Read the information below about some additional Patrol Bureau services.
School Resource Unit
The School Resource Officer (SRO) Unit consists of 14 officers, each assigned to a local high school. They work closely with school administration, parents and students to provide a safe and productive learning environment.
Community Service Officer Unit (CSO)
The Community Service Officer (CSO) program consists of non-sworn, unarmed civilian employees, who handle a variety of police-related calls for service. Examples of their duties include initiating police reports, providing traffic control at accident scenes, tagging and towing abandoned vehicles, as well as many other duties.
The DUI Unit includes eight officers who are dedicated to the enforcement of DUI laws and the apprehension of impaired drivers who represent a considerable traffic safety risk to the citizens of Colorado Springs.
Police Human Resources
The Human Resources Section comprises multiple specialized units that provide services to the approximately1,000 employees of the CSPD.
- Sworn/Civilian Recruiting, Hiring and Promotion Unit: Tasked with all aspects of recruiting both sworn and civilian personnel and overseeing the internal promotional process for sworn personnel
- Background Investigations Unit: Conduct the comprehensive background checks on both civilian and officer candidates
- Employee Relations and Performance Management Unit: Tasked with overseeing the content and process of the biannual performance review process and the proper handling of employee relations issues
- Payroll and Leave Administration Unit: Ooversees all aspects of the payroll process and administration of accrued leave and FMLA-related leaves.
- Court Liaison Unit: Tasked with the coordination of all subpoenas served on the CSPD for court appearances. This unit also coordinates subpoenas for the City of Fountain Police Department.