The civilians and sworn officers assigned to the Professional Standards Division provide a variety of support services to the CSPD. The division comprises four sections: Internal Affairs Section; Planning, Grants & Research Section; the Logistics Section; and Training Academy.
Internal Affairs Section
The Internal Affairs Unit is tasked with investigating serious complaints against the members of the police department, presenting critical incident reviews to staff, monitoring the Early Intervention Program and routinely inspecting section/units within the department for compliance to policy.
- Public Information Unit: Serves as the liaison for the department to various media outlets and is responsible for all press releases and media appearances for the CSPD. The unit is overseen by the department's Public Information Officer.
- Community Relations Unit: Engages the community and maintains open communication between various groups and the Chief of Police.
- Identifies crime and quality of life concerns and work together with the community to enhance public safety.
- Oversees the teen Explorer Program, conducts public speaking engagements, honor guard activities, and works with CSPD Human Resources on recruiting efforts
Planning, Grants & Research Section
The Planning, Grants & Research unit conducts the workload analysis and prepares the staffing models for various sections within the police department. Additionally, the section is tasked with providing research data and analysis to aid staff in making operational and policy decisions, conducting citizen surveys, and reviewing pending/proposed legislation. Staff in the section are also tasked with the obtainment and complex management of all grants awarded to the CSPD.
- CALEA Accreditation Unit: Tasked with ensuring CSPD's continued compliance with the Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies (CALEA) standards in order for the CSPD to remain an accredited agency
- Learn more about CALEA
Evidence and Impoud Lot Section
The Evidence and Impound Lot Section is responsible for the ongoing management of a broad spectrum of the equipment and critical services used by CSPD officers. The section is composed of several units.
- Evidence Unit: Responsible for the management of all case evidence and property placed by officers
- Impound Lot Unit: Central point of control and management for all vehicles impounded/towed by the CSPD & CSFD. The unit is also responsible for conducting vehicle auctions.
Police Fiscal Services Section
In close conjunction with the City's Finance and Budget office, the specialized staff in this section are responsible for overseeing the annual CSPD budget and the day-to-day monetary operations of the CSPD.