The Specialized Enforcement Division (SED) is a group of highly trained officers who support the Patrol Bureau, Investigations Division and Metro VNI Division. They do this by enforcing traffic laws, investigating serious accidents; providing security to the Colorado Springs Airport, city buildings and the Municipal Courthouse; and responding to high-risk emergency situations. The Specialized Enforcement Division (SED) consists of three sections: 1) Tactical Operations Section, 2) Protective Security Section, and 3) Patrol Support Section.
Tactical Operations Section - Provides emergency response to high-risk calls for service
- The Tactical Enforcement Unit (TEU) is trained and equipped to handle high-risk situations.
- The Canine (K-9) Unit supports the Patrol divisions, but is available to assist any element of the Police Department or other outside agencies with highly trained dogs.
- The Colorado Springs Regional Explosives Unit consists of highly trained and certified officers from the Colorado Springs Police Department and deputies from El Paso County Sheriff’s Office. They primarily respond as a bomb squad for Homeland Security in the South Central Region; encompassing five counties: Chaffee, El Paso, Lake, Park, and Teller, and the Colorado Springs Metropolitan area. They also provide service and support to about 33 other counties in the southern part of the state.
- The Community Impact Team (COMMIT) is tasked with the interdiction of gang-related crime. COMMIT continues to work in partnership with the FBI Safe Streets Task Force, the ATF Task Force and the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) to enhance its ability to target local and regional criminal gang activity and subsequently pursue federal prosecution.
Protective Security Section - Provides emergency response and security services
- The Municipal Security Unit is tasked with providing security services for the Municipal Court, City Administration Building, and City Hall. Members of this unit also provide Safeguarding America's Future (SAF) training to all city employees.
- The Airport Police Unit oversees all law enforcement operations, except passenger screenings, for the Colorado Springs Municipal Airport.
- The Office of Emergency Management / Police Emergency Services Unit works in conjunction with the City's Office of Emergency Management during critical events to coordinate police responses and resources. This unit is also tasked with the coordination of CSPD resources during planned disaster training exercises.
Patrol Support Section - Provides support and enforcement operations
- The Motorcycle Traffic Enforcement Unit or "Motors" unit is tasked with traffic enforcement and safety within Colorado Springs.
- The Major Accident Unit is tasked with the investigation of traffic accidents that result in a fatality or serious bodily injury. Each detective oversees a team of part-time investigators from patrol.
- The Special Events / Extra Duty / Alarms Unit is a multifunctional unit that oversees the coordination of police services for special events, tracking and maintenance of burglar alarm permits, and the management of the extra-duty program.
- The Parking Services Unit oversees enforcement of metered parking within the downtown area of Colorado Springs and W. Colorado Ave in the Old Colorado City area in western Colorado Springs.