Barnes Road between Powers Boulevard and Solar Ridge Drive to the west has had two lanes of traffic in each direction, with no median, sidewalks or drainage facilities, and a steep downhill slope from the west toward Powers Boulevard. Colorado Springs voters approved two projects to fund improvements to Barnes Road, via the PPRTA-2 “A List” approved by voters in 2012, and the City’s 2C paving program approved by voters in 2015. This project is widening Barnes to four lanes with median, sidewalk and stormwater infrastructure between Powers Boulevard and the Homestead Trail crossing, just east of Solar Ridge Drive, and improving Chaparral Road between Barnes and Jeffery Road.
- Improvements include curb and gutter, sidewalks, median, turn lanes
- Install storm drain infrastructure
- Prepare intersection for future signal installation at Rio Vista Rd.
Construction began in February 2020 and will see final paving in Spring 2021, depending on weather and resources.
- Installed major stormwater infrastructure and moved overhead utilities underground
- Improved Jeffery Road at Barnes Road
- Completed curb, gutter, and sidewalk on Barnes from Integrity Center Point to the Homestead Trail crossing. Final milling and paving are scheduled for early May.
The project budget is approximately $ 2,225,000, funded by the voter-approved PPRTA2.
Public Information Contact:
George Hayward, firstname.lastname@example.org, 719-314-5018.