Working smoke alarms save lives!
- Make sure you have a working smoke alarm on every level of your home and in each sleeping area.
- Test your smoke alarms monthly.
- Smoke alarms that do not have self-encased batteries need to have the battery replaced at least once a year.
- Replace any smoke alarms that are older than 10 years.
Have a Home Evacuation Plan
When you hear that smoke alarm go off, you may only have a few minutes to get out of your home safely. It's important to:
- Put together and practice your home escape plan.
- Establish a family meeting place outside of the house and make sure everyone knows where it is.
- Never go back inside once you have made it to your meeting place.