South Academy Boulevard Reconstruction will address aging pavement, curb and gutter, and improve drainage conveyance along the project corridor. The vision for this corridor is guided by past studies that helped define the need for infrastructure improvements (and community revitalization).
AECOM Engineering has been hired by the City to develop Civil Engineering construction plans for these needed improvements. Construction of the corridor will be phased into 2 different segments over the course of 24 months:
- Segment 1 (North) – South Academy Boulevard between Bijou Street and Airport Road
- Segment 2 (South) – South Academy Boulevard between East Fountain Boulevard and Jet Wing Drive
This is a voter-approved, Pikes Peak Rural Transportation Authority (PPRTA) A-listed project. Estimated cost to repair existing asphalt (18 lane miles), concrete and storm sewers: $36 million.
- Preliminary Design and Environmental Clearances: Spring 2020
- Public Meeting: Anticipated date in Fall 2020
- Final Design and Plans: Summer 2020
- Segment 1 (North) – Bijou Street to Airport Road: Anticipated construction late 2021
- Following Segment 1, construction of Segment (South) is TBD.
City of Colorado Springs
City Project Manager
Public Involvement, Bachman pr
A public meeting for this project anticipated for the fall of 2020 will be posted here.
Public Meeting documents will also be available here at that time.