*Please scroll down below to view draft drainage criteria manuals*
The City of Colorado Springs Drainage Criteria Manual (DCM) contains drainage criteria and submittal requirements for drainage studies and plans. The two volumes of the manual are posted below.
Clarifications and minor modifications to criteria are documented in Policy Clarifications. Where conflicts or differences between Policy Clarifications and the DCM exist, the Policy Clarifications shall apply. All active Policy Clarifications are posted below.
Engineers are encouraged to check the website often for updates to criteria. To sign up for notifications of updates to drainage criteria, please send an email to Stormwater Criteria.
Project specific questions related to the Drainage Criteria Manual should be directed to the project Review Engineer. Questions related to drainage criteria that are not project specific should be directed to Stormwater Criteria.
Drainage Criteria Manual
The Drainage Criteria Manual Volume I specifies the design and technical criteria for all drainage analysis and construction. The Drainage Criteria Manual Volume II provides information on Best Management Practices (BMP's) for Stormwater.
- Preface (Acknowledgements, Overview/Purpose, Versions/Updates, Disclaimer)
- General Provisions
- Drainage Principles
- Drainage Policies
- Floodplain Management
- Street Drainage
- Storm Sewers
- Conduit Outlet Structures
- Culverts and Bridges
- Open Channels
- List of Abbreviations and Definitions
- Stormwater Management and Planning
- BMP Selection
- Calculating the WQCV and Runoff Reduction
- Treatment BMPs
- Source Control BMPs
- BMP Maintenance
- Construction BMPs
- Channel Development and Redevelopment
- Channel Stabilization
- Drainage Memo
- Erosion Control Assurances
- Infiltration vs. Percolation Testing
- On-Site Detention Requirements when Regional Detention is Provided
- Parallel Pipes and pumps
- Portable Toilet Details for Construction Sites
- Public Permanent BMP Review
- Private System Review and Inspection
- Process for Using Alternative BMPs
- Roadway Development, Redevelopment and Maintenance
- Site Size vs. Disturbed Area
- Storm Sewer Video
- Stormwater Review Fees
- Temporary FSD Facilities
- Underground BMPs
- Underground Utility Projects
- Variance Requests
- Water Quality in State Waters
Updates to stormwater criteria are coming! The following drafts are posted for public comment:
- Chapter One: Stormwater management and Planning Draft
- Chapter Two Control Measure Selection Draft
- Chapter Three: Calculating the WQCV and Runoff Reduction Draft
- Chapter Four: Treatment Control Measures Draft
- Stormwater Construction Manual Draft
Please return any comments to StormwaterCriteria@coloradosprings.gov by 11/12/2019.
Printed copies can be purchased from the City Office Services Division, City Administration Building, 30 S. Nevada, Suite L01 (Garden Level), Colorado Springs, CO 80903, 719-385-5023.