About Camp Creek
The Waldo Canyon fire in 2012 burned a large percentage of the Camp Creek watershed resulting in larger and more frequent water flows into the creek, leading to increased erosion. Runoff from significant rainstorms in 2015 caused further, serious erosion along the creek.
Key elements of the plan
- The Garden of the Gods Flood Mitigation Facility: This will be under construction June - December 2019 (weather permitting). It will be located in the northeastern portion of Garden of the Gods Park to avoid impacts to the iconic view of the Park from the visitor’s center.
- Naturalistic channel stabilization in Garden of the Gods Park and Rock Ledge Ranch: The Garden of the Gods portion and some of the Rock Ledge Ranch portion was completed in 2016. An additional project in Rock Ledge Ranch is planned in the near future.
- Replacement of the Camp Creek Bridge and widening the pavement at Gateway Road: To be designed and constructed in the future when funding is secured.
- Re-alignment of Camp Creek near the chapel in Rock Ledge Ranch: Due to negative impacts associated with the re-alignment, it has been eliminated from the plan. The channel will be stabilized along its existing alignment.
- Replacement of culverts and bridges with larger bridges to minimize restrictions in the 31st Street channel: This project has been designed and plans will be completed and construction will proceed in the future when funding is secured.
- Replacement of the existing concrete and rock-lined channel in 31st Street with a wider channel with a rock and boulder-lined, low-flow channel and flatter, grass and small shrub-lined upper side slopes. A paved extension of the Foothills Trail will be located within the channel section: This project has been designed and plans will be completed and construction will proceed in the future when funding is secured. Extension of the underground portion of Camp Creek from Bijou Street/Echo Lane to West Platte Avenue. This project has been preliminarily designed and plans will be completed and construction will proceed in the future when funding is secured.
Garden of the Gods Flood Mitigation Facility
A stormwater detention and sedimentation pond will be constructed to replace a temporary sedimentation pond at the north end of Garden of the Gods Park. That project will be under construction June to December 2019 (weather permitting).
Construction is expected to have a minimal impact on Garden of the Gods Park and the Foothills Trail will remain open with some short-term closures during construction of the detention pond. The overall view of Garden of the Gods from the visitor's center will not be significantly impacted.
This element of the project includes constructing naturalistic channel stabilization structures, shaping banks, and planting vegetation along portions of Camp Creek through Garden of the Gods and Rock Ledge Ranch. This stabilization will reduce the potential for erosion along the creek as well as the potential for deposition of sediment downstream. Channel Stabilization through the Garden of the Gods and some of Rock Ledge Ranch was completed in 2016. An additional channel stabilization project in Rock Ledge Ranch is expected soon.
31st Street Drainage Corridor
This element of the project includes construction of a wider and more naturalistic channel in the median of 31st street along with replacement of aged and hydraulically inadequate culverts with larger structures. This work will also require replacement of the existing roadway and sidewalk improvements. A paved extension of the Foot Hills Trail will be included in the new channel section. This project has been designed and plans will be completed and the project will be constructed as funding becomes available. Due to the high overall cost, the 31st Street corridor reconstruction, will likely be accomplished in several phases.
Camp Creek flows southward from the Navigators campus through Garden of the Gods Park and along 31stStreet in the Pleasant Valley neighborhood. Since the Waldo Canyon Fire, rainfall events have produced greater amounts of sediment and debris loads and have increased stormwater runoff in Camp Creek. These factors make the already aging and deteriorating channel along 31stStreet even more susceptible to flooding and damage.
The city has selected the consulting firm Wilson and Company to lead community meetings and perform analysis on the drainage basin to develop alternatives and a preferred course of action for construction of flood mitigation structures/facilities.
June 5, 2018 Open House
Feb 11, 2016 - Draft EA for Camp Creek Garden of the Gods Detention Facility and Downstream Improvements
- Project Background Exhibits
- Final Plan Description Exhibits
- Garden of the Gods and Rock Ledge Ranch Illustrations
- Plan Implementation Exhibits
- Public Responses
- Alternative 1 Map
- Alternative 2 Map
- Alternative 3 Map
- Alternatives Exhibits
- Alternatives Graphics Comparison
- Alternatives Summary
Below are documents of the public response received at the February 25, 2014 meeting
- Small Group Instructions
- Small Group Response Form
- Small Group Response - Verbatim
- Small Group Response - Summary
- Powerpoint Presentation
- Meeting Handout
- Design Criteria
- Existing and Proposed Concept Illustrations
- Concepts Comparison
- Concepts Summary
- Small Group Responses - Verbatim
Oct 22, 2013 - Initial Community Meeting: Handouts and Public Response
Mike Chaves (Project Manager, 385-5408)