The City of Colorado Springs’ Youth Ambassador Program aims to promote youth and community partnerships, encourage teen engagement, and cultivate meaningful opportunities for the City’s young adults.
The program offers youth the opportunity to get involved with our local government and community by serving as a youth liaison on one of City Council’s boards or commissions. Teens that are currently enrolled in a City of Colorado Springs’ high school (10th-11th grade) or are a City of Colorado Springs resident and home-schooled are eligible to apply for a youth liaison position (non-voting) on one of the following boards/commissions. The upcoming 18-month program runs January 2019 through May 2020.
Available Boards and Commissions
- Food Policy Advisory Board—meets the first Thursday of every month at 8:30 a.m.
- Commission on Aging—meets the first Wednesday of every month at 3:00 p.m.
- Citizens’ Transportation Advisory Board —meets the first Tuesday of every month at 2:30 p.m.
- Audit Committee—meets the third Thursday of every month at 10:00 a.m.
- Public Art Commission—meets the third Tuesday of every month at 4:00 p.m.
- TOPS (Trails, Open Space, and Parks) Working Committee—meets the first Wednesday of every month at 7:30 a.m.
How to Apply
Applications to the program are due Wednesday, October 24, 2018 at 5:00 pm.
There are several ways to apply:
- Email:Fill out the application and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mail: Print the application, fill it out and mail it to the City Council Office, P.O. Box 1575, MC 1549, Colorado Springs, CO 80901
- Drop Off: Print the application, fill it out and drop it off at the City Council office, located at 107 N. Nevada Ave., Suite 300
Interviews will be held on Monday, November 5, 2018 from 3:30-5:30 p.m. at City Hall, 107 N. Nevada Avenue, Suite 300. A mandatory training session for the selected youth liaisons will be held on Tuesday, December 4, 2018 from 3:30-4:30 p.m. at City Hall, 107 N. Nevada Avenue, Suite 200 (Pikes Peak Conference Room). Youth liaisons must bring their signed parental permission form to the training session.
Any questions can be directed to Jacquelyn Puett, Assistant to Council, at 719-385-5453 or email@example.com.
For more information on the City’s Boards and Commissions visit https://coloradosprings.gov/city-council/page/boards-commissions