(All schedules are weather dependent)
North Segment - South Academy Boulevard between Platte Avenue and Airport Road
Southbound Academy Boulevard trafﬁc remains in a temporary alignment with both directions of trafﬁc on the western portion of the roadway. This new alignment allows crews to move into the next phase of construction and safely perform underground work below the northbound lanes between Airport Road and Bijou Street. Crews will also continue driveway replacements and sidewalk installations on the east side of the roadway near Pikes Peak Avenue. Expect delays and use alternative routes.
Access at Pikes Peak Avenue on the west side of South Academy Boulevard has been reopened. Pikes Peak Avenue will remain closed east of South Academy Boulevard to support water main work.
South Segment – South Academy Boulevard between East Fountain Boulevard and Jet Wing Drive
Access will be reopened at Jet Wing Drive from southbound South Academy Boulevard. Crews have completed a major portion of waterline installation across the intersection allowing crews to reopen the intersection on Wednesday, Nov. 22. Access to and from southbound Academy Boulevard at Jet Wing Drive will remain open until the next phase of construction in early 2024.
Expect delays and use alternative routes.
The City of Colorado Springs is moving forward to put Pikes Peak Rural Transportation Authority (PPRTA) dollars to work. Along with contractor partner AMES Construction, the City will begin work to improve the safety, provide better mobility and pedestrian access, and improve storm sewers on S. Academy Boulevard between Bijou Street and Airport Road, and between East Fountain Boulevard and Jet Wing Drive (18 lane miles).
The vision for this corridor is guided by studies that helped define the need for infrastructure improvements and community revitalization. The Project will replace aging pavement, curb and gutter and improve drainage along the project corridor. To provide for better multi-modal and pedestrian access, a new multi-use path will be constructed on one side of Academy Boulevard. Significant drainage improvements will be installed in the roadway, including new manholes, inlets, and drainage pipe. Colorado Springs Utilities also will relocate and upgrade water and wastewater lines in support of the roadway project.
When the project is complete in early 2025, look for
- A smoother, more comfortable driving surface
- Reduction and/or elimination of ponding water on the roadway surface
- Improved pedestrian accessibility
Project Construction Schedule
Construction of the corridor will be divided into 2 different segments over the course of 24 months:
- Segment 1 (North) – South Academy Boulevard between Bijou Street and Airport Road
- Construction starts late February 2023
- Segment 2 (South) – South Academy Boulevard between East Fountain Boulevard and Jet Wing Drive
- Construction starts Spring 2023
The construction will focus on replacing aging infrastructure with new pavement including 7.5 inches of new asphalt with new curb and gutter over reclaimed and recompacted base course.
Segment 1 (North) – South Academy Boulevard between Bijou Street and Airport Road)
- In construction Phase 1, traffic will be initially pushed to the outsides of Academy Boulevard to support median demo and construction of detour pavement.
- Phase 2 traffic will be pushed to the west half of the roadway to construct the east side of the roadway, and
- Flipped in Phase 3 to the east side to complete the west side of the roadway, then again pushed to the outside to complete the median construction.
- During phased construction, traffic will be limited to two lanes in each direction, from the current three lane configuration, and temporary access will need to be maintained to smaller side streets and businesses accesses.
This is a voter-approved, Pikes Peak Rural Transportation Authority (PPRTA) A-listed project. Estimated cost to repair existing asphalt (18 lane miles), concrete and storm sewers: $59 million.
- November 16, 2023
- November 1, 2023
- October 19, 2023
- September 8, 2023
- August 25, 2023
- August 18, 2023
Construction Public Involvement
Design Public Involvement
- July 22, 2021 Public Open House
- May 18, 2021 South Academy Blvd - 60% Design - RISE Coalition presentation
- Nov. 17 meeting PowerPoint Presentation
- Frequently Asked Questions – Nov. 2020
Maps and Photos