If you would like to request a continuance of your court date, please follow the instructions below to request a continuance. The form will require you to provide the reason for the request. We reserve the right to object to any continuance requests. A copy of the signed Motion to Continue will be returned to you via email.
If you are submitting the Motion to Continue via email, please be advised that the request MUST BE submitted at least 5 business days before your scheduled court date. Your court appearance must be rescheduled within 48 hours of receiving the signed Motion to Continue from the City Attorney’s Office – Prosecution Division. Untimely requests via email will not be processed and you must appear in person to request a continuance.
This process can be used for Trial to Court, Trial to Jury, Jury Orders Hearings, certain Motions, and as required by the Court. This process cannot be used for Juvenile cases.
- Print the Motion to Continue form, sign, and return it to the City Attorney’s Office – Prosecution Division at firstname.lastname@example.org
- If the Prosecution Division objects to the Motion to Continue, a signed copy of the form indicating the objection will be returned to the requestor with no further action.
- If the Prosecution Division agrees to the Motion to Continue, a signed copy of the form indicating the agreement will be forwarded to the Court and a copy will be forwarded to the requestor via email.
- Print and bring the signed continuance form to the Violations Bureau, room 108 of the Municipal Court to re-schedule the court date. In most cases the court requires that you appear in person to re-schedule the court appearance. It is up to the defendant or defense counsel to contact the Court to reschedule the court appearance.
- Failure to appear in court on the scheduled court date may result in the Court issuing a bench warrant for the defendant’s arrest.
For more information regarding Frequently Asked Questions and Rescheduling Court dates, please go to the Municipal Court website.