On Monday, January 4, 2021, City Council district candidates can begin to circulate nominating petitions. The six City Council District seats are the only races on the April 6, 2021 ballot.
Candidate filing packets will be available beginning 8 a.m., Monday, January 4, 2021. They can be picked up in the City Clerk’s Office (30 South Nevada Avenue, Suite 10), Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m or a candidate may request a packet be mailed to them. Candidate filing documents must be returned to the City Clerk’s office by 5 p.m. on Monday, January 25th, 2021.
“This year, the six city council districts were all redrawn to accommodate the population growth across the city. It is important for each potential candidate to verify they live in the district the choose to run in as soon as possible.” states Sarah B Johnson, City Clerk. To find a list of the current City Council members and in which council district your residential address is located, please visit https://coloradosprings.gov/city-clerk/page/city-council-districts .
The candidate filing period begins on January 4th and ends at 5 p.m. on January 25th. All municipal elections are non-partisan and nomination to run is by petition. Candidate filing packets will be available at the City Clerk’s office beginning 8 a.m. on January 4th. Candidates may come into the office to pick-up or request a packet be mailed.
The City Clerk will conduct a candidate training session on the morning of January 4th, and the video recording of this session will be available on the City website, coloradosprings.gov.
Eligibility to Run for a City Council District Office
- Must be a citizen of the United States of America
- Must be 25 years of age or older on the date of the election
- Must be a registered elector of the City of Colorado Springs
- Must have resided in the City of Colorado Springs city boundary for one-year immediately preceding the election date
- Must reside in the City Council District boundary for which your residential address is located and if elected, and must maintain a residence within the district boundary for the entire four-year term of office
For additional important candidate and election information, please visit www.coloradosprings.gov/election or call the City Clerk’s Office, 719-385-5901 (Option 4).