COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. – The City’s Community Development Division is seeking input to inform the City’s 2022 Annual Action Plan for the use of federal block grant funds from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). Residents, advocates and stakeholders are invited to learn about the impacts of the funds and voice their experiences regarding affordable housing, infrastructure and services for low- and moderate-income community members in public virtual meetings during October.
The City typically receives $5 million per year provided by the Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) Program, HOME Investment Partnerships Program (HOME) and the Emergency Solutions Grant (ESG) program. Additional relief funds have been made available by the CARES Act and the American Rescue Plan Act to address the pandemic-related impacts to support affordable housing, homelessness prevention, economic development, non-profit assistance and neighborhood improvements for underserved populations.
Though the grant amount has not yet been determined, the City is now preparing its priorities for the 2022 Annual Action Plan outlining how it will strategically invest these funds to support vulnerable populations. The community development division manages these funds and awards them to local agencies, nonprofits, and developers to accomplish the goals of assisting low-income households.
Residents may participate by first watching the general overview video available online, then attend any or all of the topic-focused virtual meetings. Each meeting will provide the same summary of previous funding impact, discuss any new needs or changed priorities from 2021, and allow for community input, experiences and feedback to ensure the Plan is responsive to the needs of the community. Each meeting will be recorded and available for viewing online. Input will also be welcomed via phone or email.
Public Meetings for 2022 Annual Action Plan Priorities:
- Homelessness and Social Services – Tuesday Oct. 19, 2:30-3:30 p.m.
- Click here to join: https://bit.ly/COS-Action22-Homeless
- Join by phone: 720-617-3426 | Conf ID: 668 525 914#
- Economic Development – Wednesday Oct. 20, 9-10 a.m.
- Click here to join: https://bit.ly/COS-Action22-EconDev
- Join by phone: 720-617-3426 | Conf ID: 664 322 413#
- Neighborhood Infrastructure – Thursday Oct. 21, 6-7 p.m.
- Click here to join: https://bit.ly/COS-Action22-Inf
- Join by phone: 720-617-3426 | Conf ID:451 169 252#
- Affordable Housing – Saturday Oct. 23, 10-11 a.m.
- Click here to join: https://bit.ly/COS-Action22-AffHousing
- Join by phone: 720-617-3426 | Conf ID: 523 882 725#
The City encourages all residents to participate, including neighborhood leaders, service providers and community advocates. Attendance is free, requiring an internet connection with a current web browser. The meetings will include closed captions in English, Spanish, French, Korean, Vietnamese, and Chinese.
Residents may follow the process of drafting and submitting the 2022 Annual Action Plan:
- Monday, Dec. 13, 2021 - Wednesday Jan. 12, 2022: Public comment period; Watch the community development website and email newsletter for a copy of the 2022 Annual Action Plan draft.
- Wednesday, Jan. 5, 2022: Virtual public meeting to review the draft plan.
- Feb. 2022: City Council will review and approve the draft plan.
- Spring 2022: Final submittal to HUD based on the final allocation.
Residents may view the current Action Plan at: https://coloradosprings.gov/community-development/page/community-development-action-plan and subscribe to receive the newsletter at: https://bit.ly/COS-CDD-News.
Please visit Coloradosprings.gov/EngageCOSDevelopment for all meeting links and more information or contact the Community Development Division at (719) 385-5912 or CommunityDevelopment@coloradosprings.gov.