***The Colorado Springs Fire Department hiring process for the 2020 Academy has CLOSED***
The Colorado Springs Fire Department (CSFD) anticipates a Recruit Academy in 2021. Any interested applicants for future academies are encouraged to start preparing now to meet the minimum qualifications required to participate in the hiring process, by ensuring they have the following:
- FireTEAM Test by the National Testing Network (NTN)
- Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT) recognized by the International Association of Firefighters (IAFF) / International Associations of Fire Chiefs (IAFC)
- Colorado EMT-Basic or EMT-Paramedic card, or National Registry EMT-Basic or Paramedic-Basic card
- Veterans’ Preference Points (if eligible)
- Valid CPR Card
*All test scores and certifications must be valid through our posted deadline, which will be posted early 2020 for our potential 2021 Academy.
APPLICATION AND TESTING PROCESS
1. FireTEAM Test
The Colorado Springs Fire Department requires a valid FireTEAM score as a part of the minimum qualifications to apply for entry-level firefighter, as well as any lateral entry positions. This FireTEAM test may only be taken through National Testing Network (NTN) or approved testing facility. The Department will NOT accept scores from any other Departments or testing processes.
The FireTEAM test involves high-quality simulation tests in a standardized and fair testing environment. Upon completion of the examination, a candidate’s score is maintained by NTN per their policies and procedures.
Go to the National Testing Network website (link is external) for testing or take a practice test (link is external).
2. Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT)
CPAT certificates are considered valid if the test is recognized by the International Association of Firefighters (IAFF) or International Associations of Fire Chiefs (IAFC) accredited facility by our posted deadline.
3. EMT–Basic Certification Card or EMT-Paramedic Certification Card
- For Entry Level Firefighter positions, candidates must have a current National Registry EMT- Basic card or a Colorado EMT–Basic certification card, and a valid CPR card.
- Candidates testing for Entry Level Firefighter Paramedic must have a National Registry EMT-Paramedic or a Colorado EMT–Paramedic certification card along with a valid CPR, PALS, and ACLS card.
4. Veterans’ Preference:
To be eligible for Veterans’ Preference Points you must have an Honorable Discharge and complete and submit the following documents to receive points.
*Prior to submitting any documents, use the Veterans’ Preference Advisor tool (link is external) to determine your eligibility and number of points.
Claiming ten (10) points:
- Submit Member 4 copy of your DD214.
- Submit Veterans Disabilities Rating Letter, which shows your disabilities percentage.
- Submit Complete CSFD Veterans Preference Form to the CSFD Human Resources office.
Claiming five (5) points:
- Submit Member 4 copy of your DD214.
- Submit Complete CSFD Veterans’ Preference Form to the CSFD Human Resources office.
- Notification of upcoming selection process and minimum qualifications will be posted on the CSFD website and NTN website. The deadline for submitting minimum qualifications is typically August 31 prior to the year of hiring, but may vary based on business need.
- FireTEAM test scores submitted to CSFD and placed in to “selection bands.”
- Candidates notified of banding placement by CSFD. Top band will be invited to complete CSFD application and to schedule an in person interview.
- Based on performance during interview, top candidates may receive a Conditional Offer of employment, and will be required to complete pre-employment/background check process.
- Final offers of employment will be issued based on results of pre-employment and background check process.
- Applicants not hired may apply again for future CSFD hiring seasons by resubmitting all updated test and certifications again to our website.
If you have questions, please contact the Colorado Springs Fire Department Human Resources Recruiter, Freddie Barbary at 719-385-7226 or visit coloradosprings.gov/firejobs
***No exceptions will be made for failing to follow these instructions***