Due to feedback from local businesses and organizations, the Parking Enterprise has adjusted evening meters to allow for up to four hours of parking between 6-10 p.m. Guests can feed the meter for the maximum of four hours, or until the meter enforcement time ends at 10 p.m.
Effective January 1, 2020, rates and hours for parking meters in Downtown Colorado Springs and Old Colorado City increased moderately. There are also new rates for city-operated parking garages in downtown as well and a surface lot in Old Colorado City.
Parking meter hours of operation
Increased hours of operation will reduce the number of employees, residents and hotel guests using on-street parking for extended periods of time, thus creating turnover every few hours for patrons of shops and restaurants.
“Downtown is rapidly evolving, with hundreds of new residents and hotel patrons, and a thriving culinary scene. Extending meter times into the evening creates churn, meaning multiple patrons have opportunity for on-street parking instead of those close-in spots being dominated by nighttime employees or overnight hotel patrons,” said Susan Edmondson, President and CEO of Downtown Partnership."
Parking meter rates
This is the first parking meter rate change by the City in 14 years.
- Meters closest to the city center charge $1.25 per hour. This is the area bordered by Boulder Street to the north, Nevada Avenue to the east, Vermijo Street to the south, and Cascade Avenue to the west.
- Meters further out are $1 per hour. This area is bordered by E. Saint Vrain Street to the north, Wahsatch Avenue to the east, E. Las Animas Street to the south, and S. Sierra Madre Street to the west.
- Meters on the periphery are $0.75 per hour.
City-operated garages and surface lots
Parking garage and lot locations
The city-operated garages in downtown are altering rates both for daily use and monthly pass holders. City operated parking garages and surface lots are located at:
- Colorado Avenue and N. Nevada Avenue
- E. Kiowa Street and N. Nevada Avenue
- N. Cascade Avenue and E. Bijou Street
- Old Colorado City lot (surface lot) 2613 W. Cucharras Street
- City Hall lot (not open to the public) 117 N. Nevada Ave
Parking garage and lot rates
Monday through Friday rates
- 0 to 30 minutes: $0.50
- 31 minutes to 1 hour: $1
- After first hour: $1 per hour or fraction thereof
- Daily maximum: $9
Monthly parking permits
- City-operated garages: $70 per month. Some discounts apply for groups of 75 or more.
- Surface lot in Old Colorado City: $35 per month.
Special event parking rates for city-operated garages is $5.
Other changes in 2020
While immediate changes include rates and hours, early in 2020 new meters will be installed that also will allow for progressive pricing (the ability to extend parking time at progressive cost) and mobile payment options to allow users to add time to their meters remotely.
- Parking Enterprise’s structural assessment report reveals $10M in maintenance & technology needs
- Parking Enterprise changes to take effect January 1, 2020
- Parking Enterprise homepage