Alert: Prospect Lake closed until further notice (8/9/19)
The City of Colorado Springs has closed Prospect Lake, in Memorial Park, effective immediately, until further notice. A precautionary water sample taken from the lake Friday morning, Aug. 9, by the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment (CDPHE) tested positive for mycrocystin toxin produced by cyanobacteria, also known as blue-green algae.
Staff from the Parks, Recreation and Cultural Services Department have closed and roped off the swim beach and closure signs have been posted. The following activities are prohibited during this time: swimming, bathing, paddle boarding, annual permitted motorized and non-motorized boating of any kind, including water activities like tubing and water skiing. Rentals will not be available during this time, and no pets are allowed. Fishing areas will remain open, though anglers are urged to clean fish well and remove guts.
- All watercraft use is by permit only
- No swimming or wading allowed, unless in the designated beach area.
- Dogs are allowed on a leash in the surrounding lake areas.
- No ice-related activities are permitted on the lake.
- Due to the possibility of damage to the lake liner, no anchoring devices are allowed on or around the lake.
Boating and Watercraft
The information on this page is an overview and not intended to be comprehensive. Please make sure to download the watercraft user guide for additional, important information about watercraft usage, permit requirements and rules, equipment requirements, city code, rule enforcement and more.
2019 Annual Permits will be available for purchase at Sertich Ice Center beginning January 2, 2019
Watercraft on Quail Lake
Days and Hours
Hours: Daily from sunrise to sunset*
- Gas powered motorized watercraft are prohibited on the lake.
- All boats/vessels must be operated in a wakeless manner.
* Special events and organized open water swimming may be scheduled during boating times. These activities will pre-empt some or all boating hours for the duration of the event.
- No person shall use any watercraft on Quail Lake in a careless or reckless manner or as to interfere with the reasonable use or enjoyment of the lake by any another person.
- Adult supervision is required for all youth under the age of 18.
- USCG-approved personal flotation devices must be available on a non-motorized vessel for every adult attendant, and youth (ages 12 and under) must have personal flotation devices on their person.
- Swimming or diving from any watercraft is prohibited.
- Operation of all watercraft is prohibited during an electrical storm.
Paddleboards and Kayaking Rentals
Paddleboard rentals are available through http://www.supcoloradosprings.com/.
Annual Permit Fees
|Identification Plate and User||Fee|
|Motorized personal watercraft||$80|
|Sailboat (non-motorized watercraft)||$50|
|Float tubes, belly boards, and hand-propelled watercraft||$50|
|non-motorized day permit||$5 per vessel|
|Dealer (any vessel type that includes three permits)||$225|
Key Deposit (for the boat ramp): a $10 key deposit will be assessed when purchasing a permit. The key deposit can be credited to the following year's account or a refund can be processed when the annual key is returned.
Where to purchase
- Prospect Lake
- Sertich: Monday-Friday from 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Non-motorized day permit kiosk: 24 hours (located by the boat ramp)
- Boathouse only during vendor's hours of operation.
- Quail Lake
- non-motorized day permit kiosk: daily, 24-hours
Fishing at Memorial Park
- License required.
- Only fishing is allowed on the southeast side of the lake.
- Fishing is never permitted from inside any fenced area around the lake.
- Fishing is allowed on the northeast side of the lake, except during designated special events.
- No ice-related fishing activities are allowed on the lake.
Violations and Conflicts
- In the event of a conflict, please call the Colorado Springs Police Department at 719-444-7000
- Emergencies call 911
- Report Fishing license violations to Colorado Parks and Wildlife or call 719-227-5200