Alternative Education Program

Did you know that if you do not currently have the 60 college semester hours or an Associates degree, we can work with you?

Do you have military experience?  Military experience and training does not instantly substitute for the educational requirement but with a Joint Service Transcript, you may be able to convert your experience to college credit.  Contact Pikes Peak State College Military and Veterans Programs Academic Advising (or any local college) for more information. 

Do you have 30 college semester hours?  If you have 30 non-criminal justice college semester hours and are selected for hire, you can enroll in our Alternative Education Program.  Once hired, you are required to enroll in an affiliated college (as listed below) to obtain an additional 30 semester criminal justice credit hours upon completion of the Colorado Springs Police Academy.  Candidate shall provide the required transcripts showing proof of thirty (30) semester hours, sign a memorandum of agreement, and provide proof of enrollment at the time a final offer of employment is issued. Failure to provide and sign these documents shall result in disqualification from the process.  All questions related to the educational option shall be directed to the specific school chosen by the candidate and not to employees of the Colorado Springs Police Department

Do you have some college credits?  If you have some college credit hours and are currently enrolled, you may still be eligible to apply and participate in the testing process.  If you can complete 30 credit hours by the start date of the academy, you may be eligible for the Alternative Education Program.

Do you need to get some college credits? non-profit program “Freshman Year for Free” provides complete free online classes designed to prepare students to pass CLEP tests for a variety of general education classes.  Upon completion of courses, Modern States provide a voucher to pay for a CLEP Test.  These CLEP Tests can be taken at any school that already accepts CLEP Tests.  Click here and select College that Recognize CLEP to see what schools will accept the Tests. 


Julie Hoefs
Senior Enrollment Counselor
Colorado State University-Global Campus
7800 East Orchard Road, Suite 200
Greenwood Village, Colorado 80111
Office Phone:   720-279-1150
Fax: (866) 321-0850  Email:

CSU - Global