The Colorado Springs Police Department Child Occupant Protection Program (COPP) provides a proactive approach to prevent unnecessary death and injuries of children caused by improper restraint in motor vehicle crashes in and around the Colorado Springs area.
To reduce injuries and death to children in motor vehicle crashes by providing comprehensive education on vehicle seat belt systems and child safety seats to parents and caretakers within the Colorado Springs Community. This program is designed to provide readily available resources to the community to answer their child safety seat and vehicle seat belt questions.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration reports:
In 2005, there were an estimated 6,159,000 police-reported traffic crashes, in which 43,443 were killed and 2,699,000 people were injured. 600 to 700 children die per year. 75,000 children are injured per year. Motor vehicle crashes are the major cause of traumatic brain injury, spinal cord injury and seizures. The report also shows that the majority of young children riding in motor vehicles continue to be restrained by some type of child safety seat or seat belt, with 98 percent of infants and 89 percent of children ages 1 to 3 so restrained.
|NOTE: Child lap belt rides across hips comfortably and shoulder belt rides across middle of chest and off the neck. Allowing your child to put the shoulder harness of the seat belt behind their back or tucked under their arm could compromise the effectiveness of the seatbelt and result in injury or even death in a motor vehicle crash.|
Child Restraint System Facts:
- 71% effective in reducing deaths for infants in passenger cars
- 54% effective in reducing toddler deaths
- Reduce the need for hospitalization by 67%
- A child's height is the best predictor of proper seat belt fit
- Misused 8 out of 10 times
- Effective in preventing minor injuries 50% of the time
Schedule a Car Seat Fitting
The Colorado Springs Police Department Child Occupant Protection Program provides many certified Child Passenger Safety Seat Technicians to assist you with your Child Passenger Safety needs. Please contact the Colorado Springs Police Department at one of the following Divisions, to determine car seat technician availability.
The divisions are listed as follows:
- Falcon Division (Northwest): 7850 Goddard Street, Colorado Springs, CO 80920 719-444-7240
- Gold Hill Division (Southwest): 955 West Moreno Avenue, Colorado Springs, CO 80905 719-385-2100
- Police Operations Center (Headquarters): 705 S. Nevada Ave., Colorado Springs, CO 80903 719-444-7595
- Sand Creek Division (Southeast): 4125 Center Park Drive, Colorado Springs, CO 80916 719-444-7270
- Stetson Hills Division (Northeast): 4110 Tutt Boulevard, Colorado Springs, CO 80922 719-444-3140