- Written Test
- Oral Board Interview
- Psychological Interview
- Medical Evaluation
- Interview with Background Investigator
- Psychological Exams
An out-of-state applicant must make his/her first trip for the testing phase. This must be done in Colorado Springs. After all applicants have completed testing, candidates will be banded based on written test scores and oral interview scores. If your band is selected to continue in the process, you will receive a conditional offer and proceed to full backgrounds. If you receive a conditional offer of employment, you will be required to submit official transcripts for all colleges you have attended. DO NOT submit transcripts prior to conditional offer. Once the conditional offer is made, out-of-state applicants will be contacted individually to schedule their second trip. This trip will require a 3-day stay in Colorado Springs. We understand the burden this places on out-of-state applicants and have made every effort to consolidate the process into as few trips as possible. Out-of-state applicants may be able to complete the entire process within 2 trips, at their own expense.
Steps in the Process
- Applications are submitted electronically online. Based on how you answer the questions, the computer automatically screens applications to see if applicant meets minimum qualifications.
- Applicants who meet minimum qualifications will be scheduled for their first trip for the testing phase.
- The written examination will be taken on a computer. Candidates will be notified immediately if they passed the written examination. Candidates that pass the written examination will be invited to an oral interview the following day. Both will be conducted on a weekday.
- After all applicants have completed testing, candidates will be banded based on written test scores and oral interview scores. Emails will be sent to candidates notifying them of their band placement.
- If your band is selected to continue in the process, you will receive a conditional offer, the Personal History Questionnaire (PHQ) and proceed to full backgrounds (second trip). If you receive a conditional offer of employment, you will be required to submit official transcripts for all colleges you have attended and if you are or were military, you will submit your entire Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). DO NOT submit documents prior to conditional offer.
- If applicants pass these steps, their file is presented to a Selection Committee for review.
- If selected, applicants will be contacted personally by CSPD Human Resources and receive a final offer of employment.