Being victimized in a criminal act can be a very tramatic experience. The Colorado Springs Police Department Victim Advocacy Unit (VAU) is available to provide services and support to those who have been victimized by crimes that are covered by Colorado's Victim Rights Act (VRA). The unit is staffed by full-time advocates and highly trained volunteer advocates.
Victim Advocates provide:
- Immediate crisis intervention and safety planning (24-hours a day, 7-days a week on-call victim assistance)
- Information on the Colorado's Victim Rights Act (VRA)
- Assistance in completing applications for the Crime Victim Compensation Fund
- Referrals to community agencies and resources
- Support during the investigative process and education on the criminal justice system
- Arrangement of interpretation services for victims with limited English proficiency
- Information and assistance on obtaining protection orders
We can be contacted at 719-444-7777 or by email at VictimAdvocacy@ci.colospgs.co.us.
If you would like to give feedback on the services that you received by the Colorado Springs Police Department and/or the Victim Advocacy Unit, please take this online survey.
- What crimes are covered by Colorado's Victim Rights Act (VRA)?
- What are my rights as a victim of a VRA crime?
- What is the Crime Victim Compensation Program?
- How will I be notified of an offender's release from jail?
- Helping Hands El Paso County Community Resources
- El Paso County Department of Human Services
- 4th Judicial District Attorney's Office
- Colorado VINE (Victim Information Notification Everyday) - register for notifications of an offender’s custody changes
- TESSA - confidential services to victims of Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault
- Colorado Crisis Services - confidential and crisis support by trained counselors
- Kidpower - personal safety and violence prevention education to children ages 3-18 and families
- Urban Peak - services and support to youth ages 15-20 experiencing homelessness
- Silver Key Senior Services for adults age 60 and over
- Servicios de la Raza - education, support, and services to the Latino communities in Colorado
- DOVE - Deaf Overcoming Violence Through Empowerment
- Asian Pacific Development Center - education and advocacy services to Asian American, Pacific Islander, immigrant, and refugee communities in Colorado
- Colorado Legal Services - legal services for low-income individuals and members of vulnerable populations in Colorado
- Information on Protection Orders