Jeffery Road will be closed at the intersection of Barnes Road from Oct. 5 through approximately Oct. 30 so crews can build the new roadway and related infrastructure there. Traffic in the area of Jeffery Road, Jennifer Lane and Chaparral Road will access Barnes Road via Iron Horse Trail, as shown above.
Barnes Road between Powers Boulevard and Solar Ridge Drive to the west has had two lanes of traffic in each direction, with no median, sidewalks or drainage facilities, and a steep downhill slope from the west toward Powers Boulevard. Colorado Springs voters approved two projects to fund improvements to Barnes Road, via the PPRTA-2 “A List” approved by voters in 2012, and the City’s 2C paving program approved by voters in 2015. This project is widening Barnes to four lanes with median, sidewalk and stormwater infrastructure between Powers Boulevard and the Homestead Trail crossing, just east of Solar Ridge Drive.
- Improvements include curb and gutter, sidewalks, median, turn lanes
- Install storm drain infrastructure
- Prepare intersection for future signal installation at Rio Vista Rd.
Construction began in late February and will last through most of 2020, depending on weather and resources. Barnes Road will be opened in its final four-lane configuration by the end of the year.
Area motorists and residents are seeing significant changes in traffic alignment during September. Over the spring and summer, the project team has:
- Moved overhead power lines on the south side of Barnes underground
- Installed stormwater inlets and pipes where none had existed before
- Built sidewalk, curb and gutter on the south side of Barnes where none had existed before
The project budget is approximately $ 2,225,000, funded by the voter-approved PPRTA2. The top-lift of asphalt will be provided by the 2C program, with a separate contractor and a separate funding source.
Public Information Contact:
George Hayward, email@example.com, 719-314-5018.