South Academy Boulevard Reconstruction will address aging pavement, curb and gutter, and improve drainage conveyance along the project corridor. The vision for this corridor is guided by past studies that helped define the need for infrastructure improvements (and community revitalization).
AECOM Engineering has been hired by the City to develop Civil Engineering construction plans for these needed improvements. Construction of the corridor will be phased into 2 different segments over the course of 24 months:
- Segment 1 (North) – South Academy Boulevard between Bijou Street and Airport Road
- Segment 2 (South) – South Academy Boulevard between East Fountain Boulevard and Jet Wing Drive
This is a voter-approved, Pikes Peak Rural Transportation Authority (PPRTA) A-listed project. Estimated cost to repair existing asphalt (18 lane miles), concrete and storm sewers: $36 million.
- 2011 Academy Blvd. Corridor Great Streets Plan
- 2016 Hancock Expressway – Academy Blvd Planning and Environmental Linkages (PEL) Study
- Urban Land Institute’s 2018 Southeast Colorado Springs Report - Healthy Places: Promoting Equitable and Healthy Communities in Southeast Colorado Springs
- July 22, 2021 Public Open House
- May 18, 2021 South Academy Blvd - 60% Design - RISE Coalition presentation
- Nov. 17 meeting PowerPoint Presentation
- Frequently Asked Questions – Nov. 2020