The City of Colorado Springs and the Colorado Department of Transportation are installing a traffic signal at the eastbound U.S. 24 offramp to Union Boulevard. The signal replaces a stop sign at the intersection and will improve safety there, particularly for vehicles turning left to northbound Union Boulevard.
In the existing intersection, vehicles turning left to northbound Union must cross three lanes of southbound Union before merging into the left lane of northbound traffic. The new signal will make this a protected turn movement. The merge from the offramp to southbound Union Boulevard will be unchanged by this project.
- Improved vehicle and pedestrian safety
- Improved traffic flow
- Union Boulevard remains open during construction, although northbound Union will be reduced to one lane at the project location.
- During the first two months of construction, no left turns from the eastbound offramp to northbound Union Boulevard.
- June: two-week closure of the eastbound offramp for installation of light poles.
- Motorists should expect occasional lane restrictions and flagging operations in the project zone.
- Pikes Peak Rural Transportation Authority (PPRTA)
- Colorado Department of Transportation (CDOT)