Design efforts are underway to replace the 31st Street bridge at Fontanero and corresponding channel, along with improved pedestrian facilities. The project will improve the congested four-way stop intersection and drainage channels with installation of a roundabout.
Goals and Objectives for the Project:
- Promote continuous flow of traffic and reduce congestion
- Improve air quality for residents by reducing braking/acceleration noise and air pollution
- Improve safety for pedestrians and bicyclists
- Create a focal point and gateway for this historic neighborhood
- Improve water quality
- Maintain the existing character of this residential neighborhood
Funding for this phase of the project is through a combination of Metropolitan Planning Program (MPP) and Transportation Alternatives Program (TAP) Federal grants.
This project began in response to the effects of the Waldo Canyon fire and resulted in a three-pronged approach including the pond at Garden of the Gods, channel improvements at the Rock Ledge Ranch with naturalistic channel improvements, and a roundabout at Fontanero and 31st Street.