Phase B (design and fundraising underway)
A new restroom facility is envisioned to be constructed in Garden of the Gods Park near Parking Lot 7, which is located after turning left at the fork in the road on the west side of the park. This location has been identified as an attractive resting point for visitors enjoying the Central Garden. In 2020, restroom design began and utility lines were located. The Garden of the Gods Foundation contributed $265,826 to the project in September 2020. Additional funds are being sought.
Phase A (completed November 2019)
This project included the demolition and removal of the previous restroom building and construction of a new larger facility in approximately the same location.
Location: North Main Parking Lot (parking lot 2)
- Nature-based, architectural styling to aesthetically blend the building into the natural environment.
- Increased capacity of lavatories – 1 family/unisex restroom, 5 men’ room lavatories, and 7 women’s lavatories. (the original building contained 2 men’s and 2 women’s lavatories)
- Fully plumbed restroom facility
- Drinking water and water bottle filling station
- New roof deck for elevated views of the Garden of the Gods rock formations
- Enhanced gathering plaza
- Improved accessibility
- Improved park interpretation
Related: New overlook, improved bathrooms open at Garden of the Gods (blog post)
$1.2 million, funded by The Garden of the Gods Foundation, Trails, Open Space and Parks (TOPS) and Lodgers and Automobile Rental Tax (LART).
The old facilities included one year-round building located at the Main Parking Lot for the Central Garden where the majority of traffic occurs. Built in 1995, this restroom facility included a women’s restroom (two toilets) and a men’s restroom (one toilet, one urinal).
A secondary restroom facility is seasonally available from May to October at the Scotsman Picnic Area. It provides a women’s restroom (two toilets) and a men’s restroom (one toilet, one urinal).
- While there are no additional restroom facilities available within the park, there are other restroom facilities outside of the park located at the Garden of the Gods Visitor and Nature Center and at the Garden of the Gods Trading Post.
The City of Colorado Springs contracted with the local firm of RTA Architects to create the Facilities Improvement Plan focusing on the location of restroom facilities as well as the architectural design. The City sought input and feedback from the public to help inform the improvement plan through the public engagement process. See project timeline for details.
- September 19 & 21, 2017 Stakeholder meetings
- October 24, 2017 Community meeting 5 p.m. at Garden of the Gods trading Post
- November 9, 2017 Parks Advisory Board preliminary presentation
- November 30, 2017 Community public meeting 5-7 p.m. at Garden of the Gods Visitor Center
- Display boards (location and design options)
- December 14, 2017 Parks Advisory Board – Present final master planA plan for the development of a portion of the city that contains proposed land uses, a generalized transportation system, and the relationship of the area included in the plan to surrounding property.
- Engagement Process Summary
- On-site Survey Results
- Online Survey Results Summary
- Online Survey Results