In accordance with Colorado law, the Colorado Springs Police Department is notifying the community that Steven John Long is currently residing in Colorado Springs. Long is a sex offender whose past behavior has led him to be labeled as a “Sexually Violent Predator” (SVP) by the Colorado Bureau of Investigation. Accordingly, the Colorado Springs Police Department has made “community notification” as required by law and undertaken the following tasks, among others:
- Notified the Colorado Department of Public Safety’s Sex Offender Management Board (SOMB) Notification Team.
- Reviewed and confirmed Long’s residence, employment, access to vehicles, legal status, and past crimes.
- Made notifications to neighbors and businesses deemed to be in the immediate area.
- Briefed patrol personnel on Long’s status, history, appearance, residence, employment and vehicles.
- Notified surrounding law enforcement agencies.
- Provided an online video that describes the SVP community notification process, SVP information and additional resources for the community.
- Online SVP Community Notification video at: www.coloradosprings.gov. Click on Public Safety then click on Police.
The Colorado Springs Police Department will make all reasonable efforts to ensure that Long registers as a sex offender and that he understands his responsibilities as such.
Long’s criminal history reveals that he was convicted in 2003 of Indecent Assault and Battery, Child Under 14 in Haverhill, Massachusetts. He was also convicted in 2010 of Unlawful Sexual Contact in Lewiston, Maine.
Long has also been convicted of Reckless Endangerment and Firing Woods/Prairie in Fremont County Colorado in 2015 and of Harassment in Fremont County in 2019.
Long is currently registered at 2132 Robin Drive. He is described as being a white male, 62-years-old, 6’02” tall, 190 lbs, with brown/grey hair and brown eyes.
Long is one of twenty (20) “Sexually Violent Predators” currently registered with the Colorado Springs Police Department who reside in this community. The Colorado Springs Police Department takes his presence in our community very seriously and is intent on insuring he conducts himself in a lawful manner and that our citizens remain safe and aware.
Anyone with further questions about this SVP and this Community Notification process can contact Detective Rob Meredith of the Colorado Springs Police Department Registered Sex Offender Unit at 719-444-7665.