POLICY AND PROCEDURE # I: DISCLAIMER
The information contained in this Personnel Policies and Procedures Manual (PPM) supersedes all previous Sworn personnel policies and administrative regulations. The PPM is not legally binding and does not create a contract of employment, either expressed or implied. Modification, suspension, interpretation or cancelation of any provisions to the Sworn PPM shall be in accordance with City Code.
POLICY AND PROCEDURE # II: AT-WILL EMPLOYEES
All employees who are so designated by their respective City Council/Mayoral Appointee or by City Code are employed on an "at-will" basis and serve at the pleasure of their appointing authority. Other at-will employees include those working in a special, hourly, temporary, or probationary status.
The employment relationship between the City and its at-will employees is at the mutual consent of both parties.
- The City of Colorado Springs and the employee have the right to end the employment relationship at any time, with or without notice or cause.
- Employees who are separated by the City have no right or expectation to receive any pre-release or post-release proceeding, hearing or appeal, nor are they entitled to severance pay unless approved at the sole discretion of the Council/Mayoral Appointee in accordance with the Senior Manager At-Will Program initially approved by City Council August, 2000.
- At-will employees have no right to return to employment in a former City position or right to employment in any other City position.
- The at-will relationship established by the promulgation of this policy supersedes any prior oral, written or implied employment relationship.
- The at-will relationship established by this policy may not be altered by the parties unless there is a written agreement signed by the employee and the Mayor or Council/Mayoral Appointee to whom the employee reports. In the event of any contrary statement, oral or written, now or in the future, the at-will relationship established by this policy shall control.
Applicability of City Policies and Procedures
By virtue of their employment relationship with the City, at-will employees are exempt from policies and procedures specifically related to for-cause employees.
POLICY AND PROCEDURE # III: EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY STATEMENT
The City of Colorado Springs is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. The City of Colorado Springs will not tolerate any employee engaging in unlawful discrimination, harassment, or retaliation against any employee or applicant because of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, pregnancy status, religion, creed, disability, sexual orientation, genetic information, spousal or civil union status, veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law.